Does HCG Work?
There are many theories of how the HCG Diet works, but so far, there are only theories. The Doctor who originally discovered the ability HCG Injections had on weight loss, was Doctor Simeons. He had the follow to say about the HCG Diet Protocol:
I found that as long as such patients were given small daily doses of HCG they could comfortably go about their usual occupations on a diet of only 500 Calories daily and lose an average of about one pound per day
Dr. Simeons found that by administering HCG to obese patients, they could comfortably follow a 500 calorie diet, while the body "consumed" fat deposits, instead of food. After all, fat is simply stored calories. He felt that it would take a few hundred cases to prove that this mechanism was without a doubt, operates the same way with each obese patient.
It took a few hundred cases to establish beyond reasonable doubt that the mechanism operates in exactly the same way and seemingly without exception in every case of obesity.
Since Doctor Simeons day, there have been leaps and bounds in diet and nutrition science. The mechanism of HCG is better understood, and the reasons HCG has been so beneficial for weight loss in so many patients, could be for multiple reasons. Many doctors agree that HCG may not necessarily MAKE you lose weight, but instead, changes HOW you lose weight. What do I mean by this? Lets take a quick look at the functions of HCG.
The Structure of HCG
HCG or, "Human chorionic gonadotropin is a glycoprotein composed of 237 amino acids". HCG mimics a few different hormones in the body. The most important, is Luteinizing hormone. LH has a mild effect in both men and women, and will slightly increase testosterone. However, LH is only one of the hormones necessary for the production of Testosterone. The other hormone is called Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH). This is why HCG has the ablity to stimulate testosterone, but not above that which is normal.
Why is increased testosterone significant? For a number of reasons:
- Testosterone guards against muscle wasting
- When you are in a calorie deficit, the body will find calories wherever it can. In some cases, a person losing weight can burn a significant amount of muscle. When HCG stimulates the production of testosterone, muscle is kept more safe.
- Testosterone usually drops when you are in a calorie deficit
- You may now know this, but testosterone is important for fat loss. Testosterone has two well known functions in the body. 1. Increasing muscle mass or strength, and 1. burning fat. When you go into a calorie restriction normally, certain hormones slowly decline. This includes testosterone, HGH, Lepting, and a few other hormones that are important for fat loss. HCG helps to keep this optimized, so that you can lose more weight, and lose it faster.
- Testosterone increases well-being, and energy
- Why would it be important to have increased energy, and a better feeling of well-being during a diet? Well, duh. Dieting isn't fun. It actually really sucks. Increased energy helps you to burn more calories, and even more importantly, tends to decrease hunger and cravings. Also, when you are dieting, and you don't get to have all of your favorite foods, a better sense of well-being comes in handy.
Most patients on Dr Simeons Diet reported less hunger, decreased cravings, and most of his patients did NOT report dizzyness, lightheadedness, or reduced energy as is common with low calorie diets. In recent years, the most common criticism was that HCG does not cause weight loss, which is true, and was never the claim of those who supported the HCG Diet and HCG Diet Injections. It would be silly to claim that HCG Injections actually burned fat so significantly, that a person could burn an additional pound of fat per day, regardless of calorie consumption. HCG is a mere catalyst for the prescribed low calorie diet.